Thursday, March 23, 2017

Review: Bleed the Water Red by R.L. Griffin

Title: Bleed the Water Red
Author: R.L. Griffin
Publication: March 23rd, 2017
Rating: 3/5 Stars

Synopsis


When Kate Tennison returns to the low country of South Carolina it’s with her tail tucked between her legs. She doesn’t want to be there and face the love of her life, who’s now married with a child. Distance has not broken the spell of fear that surrounds why she ran from her home in the first place.

Her story is a tragic one.

Mom in rehab.

Father dead.

Career annihilated.

When we run from something looking back over our shoulder, we miss the scars on the arms that now hold us.

Can the magic of the water heal her wounded heart or does something dangerous lurk underneath the perfect features of the new man she’s decided to take a chance on?







~~Review~~

Bleed the Water Red is the first book I have read from R.L Griffin.  I have been wanting to read her books for a while now so I was very excited to get my hands on this book.  The title alone caught my attention.  Then I saw the cover and read the synopsis and I was instantly intrigued.  This book made me feel so many things.  Some of the emotions that I felt were hate, love, anger, sadness and confusion. The plot was fantastic and the characters were well developed. 

Kate's story was definitely a tragic one.  This woman has suffered so much.  With everything that happened to her mom and dad, then with the person she loved, I understand why she is the way she is.  She has lost so much, and is now afraid to open up that love to someone else.  Kate has been a shell and throughout this story, I saw her slowly open up and become the warrior that she always was.  What bothered me a little about Kate was that she never followed her gut.  She was supposed to be a very smart woman.  People would tell her things and she kept getting bad feelings about a certain character.  Even seen glimpses of a possible darker side to him.  But, she ignored it.  She wanted to be loved and cherished so bad that she just didn't care.

Gent and Bash confused me a little.  These two men were mysteries to me.  More so Gent.  Like I said at the top, I knew who the villain was going to be, but for a minute I wondered if I was going to be tricked.  I loved learning about Layla's past with Gent.  I was trying to figure out what all went down with those two and why they were now apart.  One reason was obvious, but I knew there were secrets to be revealed on that.  I loved seeing it all finally come open.  Gent was just a sweetheart in this book.  The poor guy was going through the worst unimaginable thing a parent could ever go through.  And basically living in a loveless marriage.  But, he loved his daughter so much and I loved seeing that.  Bash was just so perfect that he was too good to be true.  Kate and Bash seem to have a lot in common, especially with their parents.  He was always there for Kate, but some things he did were kind of stalkerish.   Warning bells would go off, feelings would arise, but Kate would slide them under a rug.

I loved Poppy and Austin's relationship.  Their marriage was hilarious.  Those two never grew up!  They acted like they were twelve and thirteen years old..  Even admitted to it! The banter between them was so funny!  I could feel how much they love and adored each other.  They only ever and each other and I thought that was so sweet.  They were happy that Kate moved back.  The three of them were always best friends.  Always took care of each other.  When the three of them were together, there was hilarious banter as well.  Kate was constantly flipping Austin off.  Loved their friendship!  

The story build was very slow.  We get that big moment at the end that the whole book leads to, but I wanted to see the moments in between too.  There weren't any defining moments in between that wanted me to keep turning the pages.  The shocking, gasp worthy scenes.  I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did.  This book was also a little predictable for me as well.  I knew after a few chapters who the villain was and what was going to happen at the end.  Also from the prologue, I knew what was going to happen to another character as well.  Wanted some more secrecy with that.  I also felt as if there were parts of the story missing.  It jumped a little and I got confused a few times with the change.  I know pieces were supposed to be missing since it is a psychological thriller, but the pieces missing didn't need to be missing.

Bleed the Water Red was an enjoyable read full of suspense.  Even though I knew what was going to happen at the end, I couldn't wait to see how it all went down.  And I am also very happy with what happens with Kate and Gent.  Even though I didn't love this as much as I hoped, I still really liked it and enjoyed it.  I will definitely be checking out the author's other work!!






~Links~








About R.L. Griffin
R.L. resides in the Atlanta area with some cool dudes: her husband, son and two crazy dogs.  She was born and raised in the South.  She attended Georgia Southern University and moved to Washington, D.C. to intern in the United States Senate during the impeachment trial.  Falling in love with the city, she went to law school at American University, Washington College of Law.  By A Thread is R.L.’s second book, but is the first in a series that got her back into writing after a ten year hiatus.  She writes anything from romantic suspense to psychological thriller to romantic comedy. One of the things that readers always say is they never know what kind of story they will get from R.L.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment