Friday, July 11, 2014

Review: The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard

Title: The Forgotten Ones
Author: Laura Howard
Published: April 28th, 2013
Pages: 197
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Synopsis

Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.

What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.



Review

The Forgotten Ones was a fun and engaging read.  Once I started this book, I didn't want to put it down.  What I loved about this book was that it was original, different.  I haven't read another book like it.  It was a real page turner.  I couldn't seem to turn the pages fast enough.  I just couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Allison was spent her whole life wanting and preparing to take care of her mother.  That is the only thing she has been striving fore.  Her life has basically been set on hold.  Allison's mom is pretty much catatonic.  She is there but not really there.  Or so she seems.  When Ali's father shows up, she learns the truth about father and what is really wrong with her mother.  She also learns about about the Tuatha de Danaan.  When Ali's mother, Elizabeth disappears, she will do anything to get her mother back.  With the help of Liam, her father, and a few other of his kind, they embark on a journey to find and save her mother.  

I adored the characters in this book especially Ethan.  Oh how I love Ethan.  I love his persistence on trying to get Ali to go out with him.  He has tried to get her to go out with him for a couple of years.  He seem to really care about her.  He knows all about his smexiness as well.  He doesn't hide it.  Ali is the type of person that always puts others before herself.  I am able to relate to her in that way.  I also loved how determined she is.  She won't stop until she succeeds.  She really is a fighter.  I loved there friends as well, except for Rachel.  Talk about a snob.  But Jeff and Sean were really sweet.  They all knew each other really well and were always there if the other one needed them.

I loved the scenes featuring Ethan and Ali.  I actually craved them.  Their relationship felt so real.  I was hoping to see a lot more of them together so I could see their relationship grow and develop.  I also wanted a little more background information.  Especially with the  Tuatha de Danaan.  I need to know more about them.

There are a lot of secrets and twists in this book. There is something really mischievous going on with this story.  The Forgotten Ones is a fast-paced story that will will definitely leave you wanting more.  The ending, of course, had a cliffhanger so now I am going to immediately start the second book so I can see what happens next.  I recommend this book to everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment