Friday, November 14, 2014

Review: For The Win by Amber Garza

Title: For The Win
Author: Amber Garza
Publication: November 12th, 2014
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Synopsis:

London Miller has one best friend.

Words. 

She lives in the pages of the books she reads, preferring the safety of fictional worlds over the dark and scary reality of her own life. Books aren't her escape...they're her salvation. 

Cooper Montgomery has one true love. 

Baseball. 

When he's on the mound, throwing a pitch, the darkness of his world fades away. The game is something he can control, something he can count on. 

A twist of fate brings London and Cooper together, a curve ball that forces them both outside of their comfort zones. As they spend time together, a relationship begins to blossom and both of them start to believe that there just might be something bright and beautiful in their lives.

However, the game changes when your heart is on the line. You have to play with everything you have for the win.



Review

For The Win was a fantastic YA book that immediately grabbed me from the very first page.  I couldn't help but fall in love with London and Copper.  With the dual POVs, I was able to connect with both characters on a deeper level.  Amber always seems to do such a wonderful job with that. She always creates characters I love.  I even loved Dexter, London's dad!!!!  I adored these characters and wanted all of them to get their happy endings.  The character development was spot on.  They make huge changes by the end of the book.  What I also loved was how realistic this book was.  I could see London and Cooper as my friends.  They were just so real and raw.  I felt as if I was pulled into their world, and I loved that. 

I adored Cooper and London.  Even their relationship.  I was rooting for them since the very beginning.  London saw something when she was very little that traumatized her at such an early age.  Therefore, she wears baggy clothes and pretty much keeps hidden.  Then all that shatters when she has to interview the one and only Cooper Montgomery.  That one interview changes everything.  Cooper finally sees London.  Finally sees himself and how he treats others.  Thankfully that all changes.  I loved watching them both change individually as well as together.  I loved how Cooper really cared for her and wanted to take care of her all the time.  Wanted to save her in any way he could.  And he did.  He was her savior.  

For The Win definitely left me wanting more after that ending.  I am hoping that there is a sequel to this story.  I want to see what happens next with Cooper and London while he is away at college.  The only minor issue I had with the story was the illness that was involved.  I relate to London in so many ways, but like her, I read to escape sometimes.  I don't want to escape in a sad story or a story about this illness that stinks on so many levels.  I didn't know what to expect from this book, but at the beginning when she started talking about being extremely tired, I knew then.  It was very predictable for me in that way.  I have come across so many books about that illness, that I knew right then and there what I got myself into,  But thankfully, Amber doesn't leave this story on a sour note.  With her story there is hope along with a happy ending.   This is a book I definitely recommend everyone to read.  Great job Amber!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment